Sunday, July 18, 2010

A new adventure indeed....

Well, God has changed the course of my life. Ha ha, I love it when He does that!

I've taught 4th and now 5th grade inner city for 3 years and this coming school year will be my last year. I've had a call on my life to teach since I was in 2nd grade. I just didn't realize at that time that it was God. I really didn't know how to walk with God until 1 1/2 years ago. Since I didn't know how to walk with God and hear from Him when I graduated high school, I did what I knew to do with my desire to teach. I went to college to become a teacher. Got my 4 year degree and knew that I had a desire to teach underprivileged, difficult children, so inner city was my goal. I moved to Kansas City, MO because I felt God pulling me there. I taught there for 2 years in one of the roughest areas of KC. It was probably the best two years of my life so far because I learned SO much. God brought me to a church where I truly discovered the truth. I learned that most churches don't teach the truth. They make you feel good inside for 1 hour a week, but they don't tell you how to function in the world and be happy. But anyway, before I get to rambling..... after 2 years of living 7 hours and 2 states away from home, I told God I wanted to move back and that things would work out for me. So they did. I actually got a teaching job in North Minneapolis (the exact location I desired) before I even moved back, so I was ready to go. This past year of teaching 5th grade was the best yet. It was the best because I didn't do it alone. I finally realized how to let God be my strength. Once you figure this out, let me tell you, it revolutionizes your life. Perhaps I'll write more about that later.

In Sept. 2009 God spoke to me and told me to go to bible college. Since He told me that, I realized that I am missing certain desires that public education teachers should have. Such as, the desire to plan lessons. I have zero desire to do that. I mean zero. My heart isn't in it. My heart is in affecting the lives of my students and changing their behavior. God showed me that I followed His direction to teach, I have all kinds of great teaching strategies in the natural realm.... now it's time for the spiritual realm to come into play! My greatest desire is to teach people what they didn't learn in church (what the church missed). I desire to show people what is in the bible. I want to work with kids and teach them the way Jesus would teach them if He was here physically. Since He isn't here physically, but He is inside of ME, I'll use Him to teach for the rest of my life :)

I will be attending Charis Bible College in Colorado Springs, CO beginning fall of 2011!


No comments:

Post a Comment